Sunday, September 01, 2013
Tips for Students and Teachers
Tips for Students to Develop Vocabulary:
· Read English newspapers and watch English news channels everyday.
· Read English books and magazines every week.
· Watch english movies and T.V. serials.
· If you find any unfamiliar word, look its meaning in the dictionary.
· Keep pocket dictionary with you. Always learn 25 to 30 new English words.
· Always remember new words. For that you should use new words in your routin language.
· If you have friends who also want to improve their vocabulary, then you can form a group and share new words with each other. You can meet at regular intervals and measure your progress.
· Learn the root words. Root words are words from which words grow with the addition of prefixes and suffixes.
· You can also learn english vocabulary through online computer programmes qnd softwares.
· Keep revising. While it is important to read and learn new words, it is equally important to revise what you have learnt.
How to Improve Grammar
Grammar is the set of rules that govern the usage of English language. A strong grasp of English grammar is therefore of the greatest importance.
Most non-native English speakers make grammatical mistakes while speaking in English. Improving grammar takes time and effort but it is well worth it. Here are some tips which will help you improve English grammar
Understand the building blocks of grammar
As a first step, it is important to know the different building blocks of grammar like nouns, pronouns, articles, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, prepositions, conjunctions and interjections. The internet is full of resources about these and it is usually a good idea to understand them well.
Pay attention to sentence structures
When you read an article or watch a movie, it is important to pay attention to how sentences are constructed. This practice helps ingrain different sentence structures and will help your spoken and written English.
Practice when you can
This tip can never be overemphasized. As an English learner, it is extremely important for you to talk in English at any given opportunity. If you do not have partners to practise with, then try to speak in front of the mirror.
Grammar exercises will help you
Try doing different grammar exercises and find out your weaknesses. These exercises are freely available on the internet. It is only after you are able to correctly assess your weaknesses that you will be able to rectify them.
Find a mentor
Many learners have improved their grammar working with a mentor. A mentor could even be a friend who has a strong command over English grammar. You must speak only in English with your mentor and ask the mentor to point out your mistakes. This real time feedback is very beneficial in improving grammar.
Join a course
Many students find that an English improvement course is the quickest way to improve English grammar. If joining a classroom program is difficult, then an online course is a great option.
How to Learn English with the help of Gujarati Language
Learning a language is rewarding and useful. Native Gujarati speakers can learn English through a variety of sources, including tutors, films, books, newspapers and English-speaking friends. Once students have mastered some basic English skills, such as sentence structure, verbs and vocabulary, it is only a matter of practice before they can become fluent in the English language.
1. Look for an English-language class in your area. Many schools and colleges teach the English language, and there may be tutors available that can provide you with private lessons, if that fit in your budget.
2. Learn the English alphabet. The English alphabet, much like the Gujarati alphabet, consists of characters that represent vowels and consonants. While many Indian cities and towns still speak Gujarati, look out for English signage in your town and practice identifying the English letters.
3. Seek out Gujarati to English books such as" The Student's Modern Dictionary" by Desai and Mehta or the" Universal English-Gujarati Dictionary" by P.G. Deshpande. A Gujarati-English dictionary provides you with Gujarati to English translations.
4. Practice learning English with Gujarati computer-based software. There are many software programs available for Gujarati speakers who want to learn and practice their English skills, such as The Translation People.
5. Incorporate English into your life as much as possible. This includes reading English books and newspapers and watching English films. There are many English-written newspapers in India, such as the Times of India, Indian Express, Bilkul and many more that you can use to brush up on your English-speaking skills. This will incorporate English into your life in a real and meaningful way. Start with simple books containing pictures that can provide a context for the storyline. Build your way up to newspapers.
6. Watching English films with Gujarati subtitles or watching Gujarati films with English subtitles is a good way to become engaged in plot or story line and observe how the English language is used. The visual aspects of the film will provide context for the dialogue. This will improve your reading and listening skills in English. You'll also gather an understanding of common phrases and slang.
7. Watch popular sports games in India, such as cricket, with English commentary. This will help you stay interested in learning because you're watching something you understand and learning to think about it in English.
8. Engage in conversations with an English-speaking friend. This will familiarize you with real-life conversations. It will also speed up the learning process. If your learning is restricted to a one-hour session per day, for example, it will take a lot longer for you to learn compared to how quickly you can learn if you incorporate English into your daily life. Plan a casual outing with your English-speaking friend so you can learn how to converse in different situations.
9. Use your English/Gujarati dictionary to expand your vocabulary. Once you have a grasp of sentence structure and verbs, learning vocabulary is just a matter of memorization and practice. Try to learn new vocabulary words every day and incorporate them into English conversations.
10. Record your conversations so you can hear how your voice sounds when speaking English. Compare your pronunciation to that of native English speakers. Correct yourself and practice the words that you experience difficulty pronouncing.